When I heard another bootcamp was starting up, I couldn't wait! This time they are focusing on techniques. The first recipe focuses on a quick puff pastry. I have to admit, I was a little nervous at first, but once I began making it, the nerves disappeared.
And can I just say, as a side note here, that anything with hazelnut is right up my alley. Right?!
So...let's get started!
Ingredients for Quick Puff Pastry
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp. fine salt
- 20 tbsps. high-quality salted butter,cold and cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup ice cold water
Ingredients for the Filling
- 11 oz. can Hazelnut Praline Paste (or 1 1/4 cups nutella)
- 3 tbsps. salted butter, melted (omit if using nutella)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate (omit if using nutella)
Ingredients for the Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 - 7 tbsps. heavy cream or water (depending on how thick you like your glaze)
- To make the puff pastry, combine the flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the butter and toss to coat.
- Using a pastry cutter or your hands, quickly work the butter into the dough. It will be very crumbly with large bits of butter throughout the dough.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in all the water. Using a wooden spoon, quickly stir to incorporate the dough. The dough will be slightly wet and sticky. Try not to overmix.
- Flour your work surface and add the dough. Pat it and shape into a rectangle, about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Flour the rolling pin and roll the dough to about 10 - 12 inches long and about 8 inches wide.
- Fold the bottom third of the dough over the middle of the dough. Fold the upper third of the dough on top of the middle fold. Rotate the dough 1/4 turn and repeat. Pick up the dough and use additional flour on the counter to prevent sticking.
- Roll out, fold, and turn the dough at least 6 - 7 times.
- When done, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- When ready to make the rolls, place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin with butter or nonstick spray and set aside.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a a well floured surface. Roll the dough into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- If using the hazelnut praline spread, in a small bowl, stir together the spread and melted butter.
- Spread a generous amount of your hazelnut praline or nutella spread onto the dough.
- Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts and chopped chocolate.
- Begin rolling the from the long or tall end, finishing seam side down.
- Slice into 12 even rolls, about 1 1/4 inches thick.
- Place rolls into prepared muffin tin and bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 24 - 28 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing them onto a wire rack.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and heavy cream or water to glaze consistency of your desire.
- Frost and enjoy!