A coworker tagged me in a picture, asking if I can make this cake for her. Crepe cake and tiramisu, how could I say no?! Once I knew I was going to work with cognac and rum, I couldn't wait to begin.
She sent me the recipe from Tasting Table. I made a few adjustments due to availability of ingredients.
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. cake flour
3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsps. salt
4 large eggs
5 large egg yolks
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 cups whole milk
2 tbsps. cognac
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 cups mascarpone cheese
2 cups tiramisu mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup rum
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Directions for Crepes
- Sift the cake flour, all-purpose flour, and sugar.
- Whisk in the salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth (it will be thick.)
- Slowly whisk in the butter, then the milk and the cognac, until the batter is smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Prepare your nonstick skillet. Heat on medium-high heat and lightly coat with the nonstick spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup crepe mixture into pan and cook for approximately 1 1/2 minutes, until golden-brown.
- Flip and cook the other side for approximately 30 seconds.
- Repeat this for the remainder of the crepe batter.
- Wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate overnight.
Directions for Filling
- Sift powdered sugar into mixing bowl and fit paddle attachment to mixer.
- Add mascarpone cheese and rum.
- Mix on low until well combined.
Directions for Assembling