A couple weeks ago the hubby and I took a couples cooking class at the Institute of Culinary Education. We had a great time! There were four different groups in charge of various meals. Our group was in charge of making Ahi Burgers with Asian Slaw and Ginger Wasabi Aioli, Minnesota's Juicy Lucy, French Fries, and Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cupcakes.
Everything was absolutely delicious! Bonus: we got to bring home all the recipes.
I love the cupcake recipe! It is soft, spongy, and makes me just want to dive into a sea of chocolate. The frosting was great too, but I found that some of the ratios were a bit off, so I've created my own using my favorite vanilla buttercream recipe as the base.
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (I used bittersweet chocolate chips)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, soft and cut into 12 pieces
- 1 cup boiling water (boil then measure)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Peanut Butter Buttercream Ingredients
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 tbsps. heavy cream
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
Directions for Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar, flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Put the chocolate and butter into a medium mixing bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Wait 2 minutes then whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, to the melted chocolate and butter. Then whisk in the vanilla and sour cream.
- Whisk in the flour and sugar mixture, a third at a time.
- Divide the batter evenly, spooning it in.
- Bake for approximately 20 - 25 minutes.
- Cool in the muffin tins, on a rack, for 10 minutes. Take the cupcakes out from the tins and finish cooling on the rack.
Directions for Buttercream
- Using the paddle attachment, beat the butter until white and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes, on medium speed.
- Add in powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until blended then increase speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!
Optional: Drizzle with melted peanut butter and chocolate.