Wednesday, July 23, 2014

No-Bake Granola Bars

 
At my largest                     As of 7/21/14
    
It's time to get a little personal.

I've been overweight for as long as I can remember.  Towards the end of last year I began working with a wonderful couple over at The Live Well Company.  With all the work I was doing with them, I slowly started to see myself transforming.  School (I'm a teacher) ended in June, which meant I had to start working out on my own (I live in Queens, and they are located in Tribeca.)  I found a wonderful app, weilos (they also have a website), and it has given me so much motivation to be a better me, a healthier me, and a more confident me.  I've met some amazing people on this app.  We motivate each other and, of course, share recipes.  Now that I've changed my lifestyle (I feel guilty when I don't work out!), I knew that I needed to come up with some healthy treats for myself.

The hubby likes to snack, and I always try to keep healthy options in the house.  One of his snacking favorites is granola bars.  When I was running out of the house the other day, I grabbed one from the box, and headed out.  While on my commute, I opened up the bar, took a bite, and was immediately hit with an overwhelming amount of sweetness.  Something had to be done.



I have a big jar filled with cashews, pistachios, almonds, sesame sticks, dried cranberries, and dark chocolate chips.  I instantly knew I was going to chop some of that up and use it to make my own granola bars.  The great thing about this recipe is that you can use any nut and dried fruit you want and you can make these into bars or bite size balls.  So, with that, I present to you my healthy, homemade granola bars!  Oh, by the way, I cut these into 4" x 2" bars, and was very satisfied just eating half of one.  Enjoy!


Ingredients & Directions
2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups chopped nuts, dried fruit, and dark chocolate mix
3 tbsps. ground flaxseed (optional)
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter

  • Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
  • In a large bowl, mix the oats, nuts, dried fruit, and ground flaxseed.
  • Add in the honey and peanut butter and mix until well incorporated. (I used my hands to mix and scraped off the excess with a spatula.)
  • Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and flatten down with a spatula.  Form the edges to create a square or rectangle.
  • Cover and place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
  • Remove the sheet from the fridge.  Carefully pick up the parchment paper from the edges and place on a cutting board.
  • Firmly press down, with a long knife, and cut your bars.
  • Wrap the bars with saran wrap or wax paper and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment